March 16, 2007

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly





This animated movie was made for a school assignment. See sketches and storyboards after this "classic animation" (drawing on paper, not Flash). The narration is in Danish, so a rough translation of the Chinese poem follows:

"Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man."

A Thousand Peaks: Poems from China
by Siyu Liu and Orel Protopopescu
"A collection of thirty-five poems spanning nineteen centuries, representing both famous and lesser-known poets, including both the Chinese text and a literal translation."

A Floating: Life: The Adventures of Li Po: An Historical Novel
by Simon Elegant
"The studious young son of a vintner takes down the life and exploits of Li Po, China's legendary poet, as the poet recalls his outlandish adventures."

What's a vintner? Visit the reference dictionaries at your branch.

Library